For example, a blouse that is only going to be in style for another six weeks is going to be made as such: a second glance reveals loose buttons and weak seams. It may look great when you buy it, but chances are that it won’t make it through the season. And when it does inevitably tear, stain, stretch or shrink, it has to go somewhere. Because it was originally of such poor quality, it isn’t worth repairing or donating, so just throw it away! Besides, you can pick up another cute blouse at the mall next weekend. In a recent NPR article, Jim Zarroli states, "it gets recycled into industrial rags and insulation, or even thrown out altogether — generating the term 'landfill fashion'," (Zarroli 24). In other words, fast fashion isn't just a waste of money, it is also bad for the environment.
This attitude that fashion is temporary and instantly gratifying pervades the designs. A quick look at the Delia’s website reveals that it is going to be another frustrating season for anyone who isn’t fan of high-low hems or neon skinny jeans. While there is nothing wrong with quirky, fun pieces, fast fashion is supposed to give everyone the freedom to express themselves through their clothes. So often it has the opposite effect: rather than bringing style to the masses, it floods the market with the homogenous and uncreative knockoffs of the latest trends.
Most importantly, the rush to keep up with new trends is demanding on factories where the conditions are already bad for workers. Corners have to be cut somewhere to continue producing cheap clothes—those corners happen to be workers’ rights. According to Lucy Siegle in The Guardian, “A factory that might realistically be able to supply 20,000 pairs of jeans can suddenly be deluged by an order for 500,000” (Siegle 4). This means that factory workers are forced to work long hours with very few breaks in order to put clothes on the shelves.
It is apparent that our appetite for cheap, cute clothes is harmful, but what steps should we take to solve this problem? There are still options: supporting local businesses, buying clothes which were made in America, or shopping at second-hand stores, to name a few. Next time you find yourself debating over whether to buy another twenty dollar party dress, remember how far it has come—ethical fashion doesn’t grow on trees.
Works Cited
Siegle, Lucy. "Britain's appetite for fast
fashion is pushing workers into starvation conditions."
The Guardian 7 Aug. 2010 [UK] . Web. 22 Mar. 2013.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/08/fashion-sweatshops-lucy-siegle-comment>.
Zarroli, Jim. "In Trendy World of Fast Fashion, Styles Aren't Made To Last." NPR 11 Mar. 2013.
Web. 25 Mar. 2013. <http://www.npr.org/2013/03/11/174013774/in-trendy-world-of-fast-
fashion-styles-arent-made-to-last>.
The Guardian 7 Aug. 2010 [UK] . Web. 22 Mar. 2013.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/08/fashion-sweatshops-lucy-siegle-comment>.
Zarroli, Jim. "In Trendy World of Fast Fashion, Styles Aren't Made To Last." NPR 11 Mar. 2013.
Web. 25 Mar. 2013. <http://www.npr.org/2013/03/11/174013774/in-trendy-world-of-fast-
fashion-styles-arent-made-to-last>.
Central argument, 515 words.
Topic sentence: good topic sentence
ReplyDeleteSupport: you have a lot of support
Transitions: try to start of paragraphs with transition words
Quote: you did good with quote sandwhiches
Grammar and spelling: good
Strong argument: good argument
I like your layout but you should add some more pictures and color to it.
Topic sentence- The topic sentence is strong; it draws my attention.
ReplyDeleteSupport- The author did a good job in supporting the argument with many logic, examples, and details.
Transitions- It will be helpful to include some transition words
Quote- The author found a good quote and explained it well.
Grammar and spelling- It had good grammar and spelling.
Strong argument- It does have a strong argument; supports the argument well enough.
One compliment- The argument was very interesting.
One suggestion- Include some transition words, and maybe some pictures.
Topic sentence: I like it, really leads into the meat of your post.
ReplyDeleteSupport: Gave good real life examples. Your quote gave good support of your point.
Transitions: You do not use the traditional "transition words", but I think your paper flows nicely, there are no paragraphs that seem to come out of the blue.
Quote: Great quote, very supportive of your point. Nice sandwich
Grammar and spelling: Good grammar as far as I could see.
Strong argument: You do have a strong argument and the support is on Que. If I had to think of anything to critique I would say that you have a lot of facts with only one quote. You sound like you know a ton about this subject though.
One Compliment: I sort of talked about this in my last statement. You know a lot about your topic and seem very interested in it. I am a guy with little knowledge of fashion and it drew my attention in.
One suggestion: I think you have to make 5 posts. You have 1
Topic sentence- The topic sentence is great and declarative. Maybe change the font or color to make it really pop! Because it is about fashion you want to draw as much attention as you can.
ReplyDeleteSupport- You have good support and it definitely attracts attention
Transitions- work on better transitions. I.E As mentioned before...
Quote- The quote is integrated really well in your post and explained very well.
Grammar and spelling- Grammar and spelling is perfect.
Strong argument- Your argument is strong and I cant wait to read more from you!
One compliment: The topic is very unique and not to many people cover it, so I love that your covering this topic.
One Suggestion: Felt as though it could use more color and pictures since it is about fashion.
I change my mind for the suggestion, I read the instructions wrong. My suggestion is more facts
ReplyDeleteTopic sentence – Topic sentence was strong and connected with the main focus of the blog.
ReplyDeleteSupport – Your support was tremendous. You provided examples and facts about the fashion industry.
Transitions – You had fair transition, but you should use more transitional words to make the post more fluent.
Quote (in "quote sandwich" format with proper MLA citation) – You had great quotes and citations that made the argument even clearer.
Grammar and spelling: Your grammar and spelling were good and used well.
Strong argument: You had a strong argument, but you only had one quote. It would be stronger if you included more quotes and references.
One compliment: The topic grasps my attention, and the title informed me on what I was reading before I even read it.
One suggestion: since this is a fashion blog, pictures and images wouldn't hurt.
Topic sentence- Your topic sentence lures me in to read more, but it is supposed to state what your central argument is going to be.
ReplyDeleteTransitions- It flows very easily, I like that.
Quotes- Your quotes were in MLA format.
Support- You supported your argument with facts.
Strong argument- I think you put up a good ethical argument. I hope it brings light to the situation the workers face.
Compliment- As far as the reading goes, you did a good job. aside from the reading, the English Bulldog is awesome, just saying. Also I will look into that movie 'Les miserables'
Suggestions- I liked the whole thing and the way it flowed. The topic sentence could be changed to state what you will be arguing, but I think it is fine the way it is.
Thanks for the reviews everyone! You guys were super helpful! :D
ReplyDeleteTopic sentence: I think it looks good, but does it looks like it makes sense to me on what you have stated?
ReplyDeleteSupport: Your topic supports very well with the issues of fashion.
Transition: Are there any transition words you have added to your blog?
Quote: You have integrated and cited your quote very well.
Grammar & Spelling: Can you add commas between transitional words like "and","but","so" etc.
One compliment: The pictures of clothing are very nice and is supporting what you are arguing on your topic.
Topic Sentence- topic sentence is very good.
ReplyDeleteSupport- explains the problems with fashion, did a really good job on that.
Transition- they were all very smooth and good
Quote- you did good in citing and talking about it.
Grammar and Spelling- Spelling was good and grammar was good too.
pictures were nice and good blog.